The Women’s Building in the Mission with its spectacular murals invites a double take. Add dancers Mary Ann Brooks, Caitlin Beard, Jennifer Chien, Kelly Kemp and Alayna Stroud of Flyaway Productions soaring off the building and scaling fire escapes in an aerial dance to music by Jewlia Eisenberg in collaboration with Charming Hostess and Ava Mendoza, and you’ve got a daring and dazzling show. The occasion is the 100th Anniversary of the structure that is now The Women’s Building. Jo Kreiter explains “In ‘Singing Praises’, I want to celebrate without apology the Mission District’s landmark Women’s Building for dedicating itself so fiercely to the noble goods (justice, equality, opportunity) that all women deserve.” Her apparatus-based dance company offers performance as a medium for social commentary, making The Women’s Building partnership a natural choice for advancing female empowerment in the public realm and celebrating the rich history of the space. Here’s a short clip, in case you missed it:
The Dance Feast ManifestoSee dance. Do dance. Digest dance. It's like a big potluck. There's lots to try. Bring people to the feast.
- A Note From ODC Theater Director, Christy Bolingbroke wp.me/p39zuU-P via @wordpressdotcom 2 months ago
- Reflections: Nikhil Chopra | Performance Now nblo.gs/IoC8M 3 months ago
- Realness Roundup: Super Sonic | Culturebytes nblo.gs/IozFF 3 months ago
- Realness Roundup: Consent and Collision | Culturebytes nblo.gs/IoyuD 3 months ago
- Good Circulation: Grassroots Exchange Connecting Communities of Practice | Culturebot nblo.gs/IovLR 3 months ago
ConnectEmail Julie: potter[dot]julie[at]gmail[dot]com Twitter: @juliecpotter